SB 1475: Cell Phones and Texting While Driving (2010)
Senate Bill 1475 would strengthen the state’s hands-free and anti-texting laws for motorists. The bill would:
- Increase the fine for a first hands-free or texting offense to $50, and to $100 for a subsequent offenses.
- Provide that repeat violations of the hands-free law will add a “point” on motorists’ driving records,
- Use a portion of the increased fine revenue to provide for a public awareness program; and
- Apply the hands-free/no texting law to bicyclists. Cyclists would pay $20 for a first offense and $50 for a second offense, would not be subject to additional ticket fees/penalties, and would not receive a point on their driving record for violations.
- Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC): What to Expect from California’s New Hands-Free Law (PDF)
For more information, you can read the SB 1475 "Fact Sheet" prepared by a member of Senator Simitian's staff.
Final Status and TextSB 1475 is no longer active. Its final status was:
Did not pass the Legislature
You can read its final text on the Legislature's Bill Information site.
News & Press Releases about SB 147503/07/2012 - Cell phone law proves effective
03/06/2012 - California drivers finally put down those cellphones and are living to tell the tale
12/15/2011 - U.S. Safety Board Urges Cellphone Ban for Drivers
12/14/2011 - NTSB: Cell Phones Should Not Be Used While Driving
09/07/2011 - Governor Vetoes Simitian's Hands Free Legislation
08/15/2011 - Legislature Passes Simitian Bill To Strengthen Hands-Free And Texting Laws
05/24/2011 - Raise fines for those who text while they drive
04/26/2011 - State Senate agrees to raise fine for drivers texting or on phone
04/25/2011 - Senate Passes Simitian Bill To Strengthen Hands-Free And Texting Laws
03/30/2011 - California lawmaker seeks stiffer fines for drivers on phones
01/26/2011 - Legislators consider digital distractions
06/03/2010 - Higher fines proposed for cell phone use while driving in California
06/03/2010 - Senate Passes Simitian Bill to Strengthen Hands-Free and Texting Law
04/06/2010 - State considers tougher cell phone crackdown
04/01/2010 - A Cellphone Fine, Billed as Small, Is No Longer That
03/13/2010 - Would higher fines end the craziness of texting while driving?
02/28/2010 - Interview on cell phone legislation
02/23/2010 - Tougher penalties proposed for hands-free, texting violations
02/22/2010 - Simitian Legislation To Strengthen Hands-Free/Texting Laws
02/22/2010 - Driving Cell Phone Users Could Face Steeper Fines